Intra-state rail networks are the intermediate and appropriate infrastructure that kick-starts the social businesses and every other development. It is a social business were the investors make profit from commodity trade, transportation and processing on the move, while providing free transportation for passengers, creating job opportunities at every stop, and highly subsidized cost transporting commodities. This is a special train operates only within a small community (intra-state) it solves the infrastructural challenges, like bad access roads, very poor transport system, absence of electricity for industrial growth, and no job opportunities.
The train would have the following attributes and advantages:
- The most interesting thing attribute is its ability to construct low-cost rails tracks into hard-to-reach areas with the detachable rail construction unit.
- Highly energy efficient in food drying, as it uses the engines radiator and exhaust heat for drying.
- The freezer chamber is detachable as the driving shaft can be connected to another stationary engine; this is to ensure a steady low temperature.
- Different drying chambers for drying perishable foods like tomatoes, and other goods. Each drying chamber is built on different coach which having its range of temperature and pressure for different food items.
- Free transportation of people (maximum of 500 people at a time) since this train is designed for sustainable food system; it would be slower than conventional trains and the numerous stopping stations at short intervals make it less attractive for commercial transportation of people.
- Creating numerous job opportunities at each stopping station.
- The rail network of the intra-state train has an average Round-Trip-Time of 8-12 hours and does not connect to the national or common rail network but stops near stations and main roads.
- This mobile food processing train would reduce the huge energy demand for hard to reach areas.
- This low-cost rail networks are much easier and cheaper to build and maintain than tarred roads, making it easier for investors to connect rail tracks to their farms.
- Accelerating infrastructural development, resulting in reduced costs of transportation of goods and services.
- Food processing on the move would sharply improve the distribution system for fresh foods so as to reduce time to table, reduce post-harvest losses, and overall improve nutritional outcomes.
- This train system would enhance the value chain of food, which in turn improves the livelihood of smallholder farmers, ensure competitiveness in the global market, and ultimately contribute to global economic growth.